9 replies to this topic

#1 Addicted

Proud Member of the Outlaw Founders/Admin Team

• Admin
  • 6,422 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Looking for ideas.
So whats happening is quad is back firing, sputtering at times with the Factor computer in.
With the VDI in the quad will run and then just die, it can die at any part of throttle, low mid, high, sometimes I can try to feather the throttle and it wuold recover and keep going, other times it just dies and bogs feels like the gas was just shut off.
Every time after it dies, it will fire right back up, sometimes it takes a few times, and I have to feather the throttle and them it will fire right up, and I can go again.
I thought at first it might have been my intake snorkle, so I removed all that and put it back to factory but still doing the same thing.

It started doing this last year, I thought it might have been the VDI, but that was checked out, and then when I tried running the factory unit, thats when I get some back firing and sputtering, but the quad does run, and doesn't stall with the factory in, just not running right.

I think next, I will check valves then ? anyone

#2 ubergod

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

My guess would be fuel pump.

#3 WOODY

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Just sell it and buy something new..LOL

#4 WOODY

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

I know its fuel injected but does it you should check the rubber boots that go from around the carb/throttle body..
See the attached.

If there are holes in the boots it would be sucking too much air and throwing off the sensors...

Part #1 & 5
http://partstream.ar...ztwx32g2&ariz=1

#5 Matt

MJM

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

Sounds lean still, check for air leaks. Maybe something cracked with all the over heating issues that you had.

Or maybe it is this

http://www.nyrocatv....viewtopic=24274

P.S. why is this in the Tech area and not the Yamaha area? A founder should know were to post

Edited by Matt, 08 June 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#6 u243412

• Premium Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Fuel or air... crack in the boot? Maybe - doubt it.
Checking your TPS is very easy to do. My money is on that - only cuz I've read about it so much online.
Either way - dump your fuel and it's always time for a new plug. Don't think that's the prob - but pretty small things can cause lots of problems.

good luck

#7 rog

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

Check fuel pressure my ranger did the same thing put a pump in this year runs like brand new now

#8 Camell

Fi, fy, fo, fum, I smell the fingerprints of scum

• Members
  • 1,856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

I am thinking TPS sensor cause they are known for going. Mine never went, but i had some similar problem but it was due to the vdi not plugged in all the way into the harness i think. Check all your relays and fuses are plugged in all the way. maybe have a loose connection.

Is there a fuel filter on the 700 Grizz? I cant remember.

#9 Addicted

Proud Member of the Outlaw Founders/Admin Team

• Admin
  • 6,422 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

View Postu243412, on 08 June 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Checking your TPS is very easy to do. My money is on that - only cuz I've read about it so much online.

When checking this, what am I looking for, or should I just replace it ?

#10 Camell

Fi, fy, fo, fum, I smell the fingerprints of scum

• Members
  • 1,856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

From Grizz Central

This screen check will have to be done with the stock ecu in as it doesnt work with the VDI in

With the key off hold select and reset down and turn the key on while still holding them down. Hold for a few seconds till the screen changes. Press select till diag comes up on the display. Press select and reset at the same time and hold till do1 comes up on the left of the display and a number on the right. You now can check it with the thumb throttle the number will increase as you push the throttle. I is suppose to be inbetween 15-20 at closed thottle and 95-100 at wide open.

Did they just check the resistance or the output voltage, the way the check them to see if they are ok is measure resistance they still need to be adjusted, adjusted means loosen the screw and changing angle slightly. Specifed voltage should be between .63-.73 volts this is yellow and black/blue wire. resistance is between 4-6 ohms blue and black/blue

voltage does not always mean set it in middle and forget it. if you have stalling issue you may need to set it at the high end or low end.
what this sensor does is spit out a voltage signal it should read .63-.73 when the trottle is closed. now if for some reason you set this and your throttle cable is tight or whatever is holding it open its out of spec. the cpu needs to see this signal correctly if for some reason its thinking that .65 volts is closed or a value of 0 then if the TPS is set to .72 (guessing maybe value of 5)then it confuses the ecu it thinks that the throttle is still open but its actually not and value is related to % throttle opening

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users